Gene Heskett wrote:
> I possibly didn't word that as precisely as I could. But at zero speed, there
> truly is no signal to condition.  Only if its moving can it generate a
> signal.

A Hall effect device is sensitive to a stationary magnetic
field, unlike a coil of wire, which requires a moving field to
sense anything.
> Also, I believe here is a difference between Magneto-Resistive and the
> so-called GMR, which takes place on a physical scale in the disk heads that
> is in the sub-micron range.  GMR was only discovered maybe 15 years ago, and
> its taken all this time to get it into disk drives, in a head that flies
> maybe 2 microns above the disk surface.
IBM pioneered GMR heads probably 15 years ago, and had them in
their proprietary drives a few years after that.  High-end
PC-class drives have had them since the late 90's.
   Part of that time was in developing
> a write head that put the magnetic domains on the disk so they were
> vertically aligned, which raised the data density per square inch by a factor
> of about 100 compared to longitudinal recording methods used previously.

No, the vertical recording has nothing to do with GMR, but a GMR
head is required to read the signal.  Essentially ALL hard
drives have been using GMR since before 2000, but only the 500
GB up drives are using vertical recording.

>>>I'm still puzzled by the 10 kilohertz response listed for this device.
>>>WTH?
>>
>>The upper limit on frequency is most likely due to the signal processing
>>circuit.  I would bet that it has a low pass filter for noise immunity.  You
>>really don't want the sensor that sensitive to mechanical, magnetic or
>>electrical noise.  10 kHz is pretty fast in mechanical terms.
>

> Not for watching a 50 tooth gear on a headstock spindle turning 3k rpms.
> That
> would be a 150 kilohertz signal, so this particular device then would at the
> end of its range at 200 rpm in that scenario and it still wouldn't have but a
> 7.2 degree resolution.  That to me is not a very useful upper speed limit,
> nor truly usable resolution for high precision threading.

No, there are 60 seconds in a minute.  3000 PRM * 50 teeth / 60
secs/min = 2500 Hz.  Your 150,000 is cycles/MINUTE.

Jon