Anders Wallin wrote:
>>I couldn't find your serial number in my data base, so I don't
>>know what version of it you have.  The earliest models had a
>

> you sent these to me in late December 2006.
> Can you tell which rev. I have based on the date?

Yes, Rev D started in Feb, 2006, so your amps are also Rev. D,
with the proper action on braking.  So, that isn't the problem.
All these amps DO have an asymmetry when on the current limit,
due to variations in the .005 Ohm current sense resistors and
the traces on the board.  I select other components to try to
compensate for that on each batch of boards.  If you are at the
current limit (the motors tend to "sing" in that mode) you
either need to trun up the limit or back off the acceleration.
Current limiting of the amplifiers breaks the closed-loop
operation, and should be avoided.  it is a safety feature for
the amps and motors.

I should add I am not sure you ARE hitting the current limit,
and one way to check is to slightly increase the acceleration.
If the error becomes vastly larger, then you are on the current
limit.

> I will have to check the current limit. I know the PWM signal is not
> maxing out, but as the inductance of the motor keeps changing the DAC
> output is not a good indication of current.
> The DAC output looks trapezoidal, so I just assumed there are no
> problems during accel/decel, but you are right - the current limit might
> be setting in...
The PWM would be expected to go to ~95% when the amp is in
current limit, as it is no longer responding to the command.
The "DAC" output is much more proportional to output voltage
than current, and so is nearly an analogue of velocity.

So, it doesn't sound like current limit.  Other's comments about
integral windup sound very relevant.  I use I very cautiously,
as it can have a number of side effects like this.

Jon