At the request of a potential customer, I did some performance
tests with EMC2.  I created a program with 10000 blocks like

N123456 G01 F30 X1.0000 Y0.0000

with the coordinates working around a 2" diameter circle.
Each chord is roughly 0.0006" long.  I ran it with the
feedrate at 30 and 60 IPM, no difference, so it wasn't
acceleration-related.  I got 4 minutes and 17 seconds both
times.  That works out to 38.91 blocks/second or 2335
blocks/minute.  This is on a 600 MHz Pentium III running
my universal PWM controller at a servo update rate of
1 KHz.

Presumably a hot 3.0 GHz CPU would do this at least 5 times faster.

Jon