Dave Engvall wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm milling a tapered hole using helical interp.
> The program works fine but can't keep up.
> With a HSS ball mill I've been millling at 4 ips.
> With carbide I could raise that to 10 ips.
>
> At either speed it maintains speed 'til about 1/2 way thru the
> program then starts to pause and go, pause and go., etc.
> I tried G64 P0.001 and that didn't help.
Hmm, the G64 P0.0005 made a HUGE difference in the performance
on a flat XY-plane circle specified in tiny G01 moves.  It sped
up by 15 : 1.  My test machine is kind of torn apart right now,
but if you'd send me the whole program I could try it here.

Of course, for tapered holes, a tapered end mill is another
solution.

The slowing down at about halfway through is a real puzzle.
It seems odd that the user-mode half of EMC couldn't keep up
with the real-time part.  The program is only about 500 blocks
long?  I'm wondering....  So, you start at the top, with a
larger diameter, and then get smaller as you go down?  I'm
wondering if the curvature is just on the bitter edge of
triggering some limit for merging the line segments, and as the
diameter shrinks, the trajectory planner switches modes from
smooth merging of the segments to not merging them without
deceleration.  I'd guess that P0.001 parameter might have an
effect on this, you might have to make the P larger or make your
line segments shorter.

Jon