Ian W. Wright wrote:
> 'Scuse me for stepping in but I'm a bit confused by a couple of things
> being said in this thread.....
> 1. Exactly why does a low accel round corners more than a fast accel.?
The program calculates all moves based on the specified machine
acceleration in the ini file, and the velocities specified in
the G-code.  For each move, a point at the end of the move is
chosen where deceleration would need to begin to stop at the
exact endpoint specified.  On machines with higher acceleration
limits, that point will be closer to the endpoint than on
machines with less accel. available.  This point near the end of
the move is where the acceleration to the next move in the
G-code is blended in.  So, at a right-angle corner, with G64 in
force, the X axis will actually start moving before the Y axis
comes to a complete stop.  That will, of course, round your corners.
> Does this suggest that a machine with slightly underpowered drive motors
> is inherently less precise than one with big drive motors?
Yes.
> 2. Is there some advantage in using G64 with a tolerance over G61 if you
> want tight adherance to a toolpath?
Yes, it allows the program to run MUCH faster,while maintaining
the required accuracy.  I ran some tests a few weeks ago between
G64 (no parameter) and G64 P0.0005 (in inches) and the
difference was four minutes vs. 17 seconds!  This was a 10,000
segment circle 2" in diameter.  G61 would certainly be as bad as
the G64 with no tolerance, if not even worse.

Jon