Anders Wallin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just wanted to let everyone know that we have now mounted an encoder on
> the spindle motor of our mill and with a little HAL-tweaking it was easy
> to get rigid tapping to work.
>
> There are two videos of M3 tapping and M6 tapping on youtube:
> http://www.anderswallin.net/2008/06/rigid-tapping/
>
> I'm not sure how many EMCers are doing rigid tapping out there but at
> least over here the spirits are high after the first successful tests!
Great!  I am going to set up my minimill to do some thread
drilling in the next day or so.  I use these $8 combined
drill-taps.  I have been doing it on the Bridgeport with a
Procunier tapping head, but that is such a long assembly it gets
a bit wobbly.  Rapidly reversing the big Bridgeport motor is
going to be hard on things, and getting an encoder on the
spindle looks difficult.  I have this little minimill, and have
to come up with the right fixturing for the workpiece, but its
motor should be able to reverse a lot more easily, and I already
have an encoder on it.

Jon