Matt Shaver wrote:
> I put this on the wiki page as well, but I thought I'd make this request
> on-list as well. I'm looking for the following things:
>
> 1. Copies of ANSI, CENELEC, FM, IEC, ISO, OSHA, NFPA electrical and/or
> machine tool safety standards, European [Economic] Community Directives
> (EC or EEC), European Norms (EN), or any other standards, draft or
> published, of any age or origin relating to electrical controls and
> machine tools. The goal is to learn as much as possible about designing
> standards compliant machines and electrical controls.

I don't think there is truly ONE way to do things.  You pretty
much have to use safety-rated controls from Pilz, Crouzet,
Schaffner, Faulhaber, etc., and then set them up so they can
function correctly to stop motion, even after a component failure.
> 2. Equipment or instruments to measure RFI, or practical information on
> the subject of accurately AND inexpensively measuring RFI emissions
> (both conducted and radiated) from electronic equipment with the goal of
> detecting (and ultimately reducing) RFI generated by machine tool
> controls, including VFDs and axis motor drives.

I have been through the process of testing a product to FCC part
B standards some years ago.  It is practically impossible to do
this yourself, due to the vast sea of electronic emitters
spewing signals.  Some testing labs have anechoic chambers,
others use open-air test facilities in really out of the way
locations where there are only a few RF sources, which they
calibrate out.  The equipment is QUITE expensive, mostly
special-purpose spectrum analyzers.  You can get off-lease
analyzers from the equipment rental outfits, but they are still
pretty expensive.  Then, you get into calibrated wideband
antennas, and on and on.  Finally, you have to test every
different configuration, so you generally have to test each
specific installation, if you are doing one-off machine retrofits.

Most machine tool controls have had totally uncontrolled
emissions, because they were mostly exempt as heavy industrial
equipment.  Note the lack of output filters on most PWM servo amps.
> I need to make my CNC designs acceptable in "real" industrial
> environments, not just in the US, but throughout the world. Also I've
> become rather committed to making my designs more resistant to the
> effects of external electrical interference and power line disturbances,
> while simultaneously minimizing the level of EMI and RFI my controls
> "leak" into the environment.
>
> Of particular interest to me are:
> UL508A (Industrial Control Panels)
> UL50 (Enclosures)
> IEC60947 (Low Voltage Switch Gear)
> EN418 (Emergency Stop Equipment)
> EC Machinery, Low Voltage and EMC Directives
>
> The first step is to fully examine the standards that cover machine
> tools and controls so that I can produce compliant designs. If you have
> any of this type of information, and are coming to the CNC Workshop, I'd
> love to see it!

Devices to inject disturbances into the line and equipment
chassis are not as bad as the spectum analyzer type gear, and
you can even make much of this yourself, like with auto ignition
coils and pulser circuits.

Jon