Ian W. Wright wrote:

> <<<<<<<<<<Jon Elson wrote...
> I even trashed all the 486's out of MY basement a number
> of years ago!>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> If you are throwing out old PC boards like this it is worth stripping out the
> old processors and maybe some of the other big chips first. The ceramic
> processor packages make excellent polishing hones for finishing tool tips or
> gravers on..... just push the pins into a lump of wood or cork first....

I have at least 100 Lbs of PC boards with FAR heavier gold than
PCs.  This stuff dates as far back as the 1950's, when gold was
used routinely as the etch resist.  I attack the pile as I have
time, chisel the pins off big wire-wrap backplanes and such.  I
got about 1 Kg of WW pins off one box of trashed backplanes.  I
also have maybe 20 Lbs of sawed-off card edge connectors.  I am
hooked up with a group of gold refiners, and one guy came up
with an incredibly cool process that removes the gold as metal
flakes from these pins, using all hardware store chemicals!
I haven't tried it yet, though.  PC's, however, really don't
have a lot of gold in them.

Jon