John Kasunich wrote:
> Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
>> John Kasunich wrote:
>> What's a use case where it's valuable to read/write the modules separately?
>
> Mostly something like the arrangement Kirk Wallace has - software
> stepping, using the GPIO for the step pulses.  You might ask "why do
> software stepping when there is hardware stepping available?"  In many
> cases that is a darned good question, but in Kirk's case, I don't think
> the existing firmwares supported hardware stepping.
>
> There is also the case where you need one more channel of stepping, or
> encoder counting, or whatever, and you don't necessarily need the full
> hardware performance.  For example, the Mazak at the CNC workshop uses a
> 4-channel Motenc board.  Three encoder channels are used for X, Y, and
> Z, and the fourth is used to count the spindle encoder for spindle
> orient and rigid tapping.  We used a software encoder counter and two
> GPIO pins for the jogwheel, since it doesn't spin fast enough to require
> hardware counting.

Heh, the way to do that with HostMot2 is to email Peter and ask for a
new firmware image with an extra stepgen and encoder.  :-)
Or just change a couple of constants at the top of the VHDL and compile
it yourself (assuming you have enough gates & pins).  The new VHDL
source (not in CVS yet) makes this kind of tweaking really easy.

>> I believe it's fine to share the EPP bus between RTAI threads, because I
>> believe RTAI threads (at least as used by HAL) are not pre-emptable.  Isn't
>> that true?
>
> Not true.  Threads are interruptable, based on priority.  Fast threads
> are higher priority than slow ones, under the assumption that the code
> in a 1mS thread might take 200uS to execute, and a 25uS thread might
> need to interrupt it and run a few uS worth of code several times.

That make sense.  I stand corrected.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky
You think you can defeat me with your rebellious beard?