At 08:10 AM 10/16/2008, you wrote:
>Sorry about the late comment on this thread. New to EMC.....
>
>Another data point for future EMC enhancements related to
>feedhold/stopping/restarting a program...... On a Siemens Acramatic 2100
>control (Cin-Mil vertical machining center), a "spindle stop" shuts down
>all axis movement, stops the spindle and shuts down coolant. The program
>is still active yet all axis can be jogged manually (i.e. to view the
>part). "Spindle start" restarts the spindle and the coolant (if previously
>on) without any axis movement. Holding "cycle start" returns axis to
>original location at feed rate as long as "cycle start" is depressed
>(releasing "cycle start" stops all movement back to the original
>location). Once the original location is reached, all axis stop. A second
>momentary pressing of "cycle start" continues the program where things
>left off. Can EMC do something similar?
No.

>  If not, would it be useful in a future version?
Very.

Never used a control where holding the cycle start in moves things back to
the orginal location, but it sounds interesting.
The ones I run just move on to the next programmed block fine if it is a G1
move and in absolute mode, but can cause problems with G2, G3 moves or if
the G code is in incremental mode.
Also most of the machines I have run the operator needs to remember to turn
on the spindle, the machine builders pass it off as a safty issue.  I think
it is just a good way to break end mills.

Since EMC needs to use computer keyboards the procedure may need to be
somthing like.
Push cycle start to put the spindle, coolant, air blast, etc. back to
original condition.
Push again to move back into positon.
Push a third time to get the program running.

Also note that EMC does not use a cycle start, feed hold, and a toggle
switch for auto single block like most commertial machines it has cycle
start, pause, single step, and restart buttons I think that is what they
are called.