Hal Eckhart wrote:
> Sorry about the OT post, but I don't know where else to turn. I'm a long-time
> lurker and I'm finally getting close to having EMC running with Jon Elson's
> USC
> on my ancient plasma machine (replacing DOS and a Microkinetics contoller). I
> had a Dell GX270, which seemed to work fine until I tried testing the plasma
> arc. Seems to have fried the motherboard instantly. I've spent the afternoon
> troubleshooting all the possibilities, and it's very dead.

Oh, MY!  You really want to get a commercial-grade noise filter and
surge supressor and put all your computer and motion-control hardware on
that, and make sure the Plasma machine (both the box and the gun) are
insulated from the gantry.
> The Microkinetics card was plugged right into the bus, and it regularly locked
> up from the plasma noise, but it never fried anything permanently, so this
> was a
> surprise. The very long run of ethernet cable seems like a probable cause,
> but I
> really don't want to waste any more equipment if it's not the problem.

Ethernet is isolated to 3000 V, I think.  (I did get one popped by a
lightning storm, but it damaged about 3 other things at the same time,
so it must have been a strong one!  That computer is still in use, but I
had to plug in an ethernet card to replace the on-mobo net interface.)
> Does anyone know of a good, reliable computer for using with plasma? It's an
> old
> Esab with HF start.

Well, those Dell Optiplex machines have been very good, and are known to
be compatible with the USC.
But, I can't say I've tested them with a plasma machine.  (I do have a
TIG welder with the hottest HF I've ever seen, you can actually WELD
with the HF output!  Never any computer problems, but they are just
nearby, not actually connected.)

Jon