In industry ethernet based realtime protocols are used more and more
with good success on pretty inexpensive and reliable hardware.
Especially I have SERCOS and EtherCAT in mind.

Both of these buses have fast cycles from 30us up, both have software
masters on a standard ethernet controller and both need special
slave devices.

Interesting for us hobbyists:

SLAVES
 - SERCOS offers a free IP Core for 64bit I/O
   http://www.sercos.de/Easy-I-O.299.0.html
 - EtherCAT slaves can be implemented with
   Xilinx & Altera IP Cores (Altera MegaCore)
http://www.altera.com/products/ip/getting-started/ipm-evaluate-download.html
 - Hilscher NetX Arm controller can be used for
   Sercos and Ethercat (NetSTIK 59Eur, NetX50 30Eur 1pc / 15Eur 100pcs)
http://de.hilscher.com/products_details_hardware.html?p_id=P_47614930462d6&bs=15
 - Fieldbus Modules:
http://www.anybus.com/products/abs.shtml
http://www.ixxat.com/ethercat_module_en.html
 - 3/6 Axis DC Servo controller (~900Eur)
http://www.zub.ch/pdf/DS_MACS4_DSP.pdf
http://www.zub.ch/pdf/DS_MACS4-DC-6.pdf

MASTERS
 - http://www.etherlab.org/en/ethercat/index.php
 - http://developer.berlios.de/projects/ethercatmaster/
 -
http://www.automataweb.com/en/kat/uid_kategorien/0000119/id_matchcode/sercos_software/bop/0/print/false/chksum/6ab88055dfa1fc37d2f74af09a3afd4f/beetools.html

Firewire seems to be used successfully too in rt environments,
though with probably higher hardware cost than ethercat.