Does the -P card come with the usb connector for power? or do you have
the dual port card?.  My plans are to have  4-Axis machines using
steppers and Quadrature encoders.  In addition I would like to control
the spindle speed and synchronize it for threading.  I intend to have
the normal complement of limit/homing switches with E-stop.  The Gecko
540 includes a BOB with pins for the switches etc so I am assuming 24
ports to connect to the 540 leaving the other 24 for connecting the
encoders (12 ports A,B index) and handle the spindle speed (maybe
another encoder) and synchronization.  To me the 7i43 looks to have
enough I/O for this and maybe a few additional odds and ends.  My
interpretation is that all I/O not specifically part of the other
modules are passed back to the computer as register values as part of
the HostMot2 driver.  So unless I need faster response I should not need
to reprogram the FPGA but just write/adapt code on the host computer.
Do you know if there are any free blocks left in the fpga?  I am rusty
but I have used the spartan 3 and virtex 2 series of Xilinx chips in the
past.  Under Linux I remember some problems in talking to the
development board in the past so I was wondering how the 7i43 worked
with the Xilinx software.  This board looked promising for some other
applications as well. I could send these type of questions to Mesa and
at this time they are not a primary concern just a potential added benefit.

Hubert