Peter
  The SX3 or Super X3 sold by Grizzley (G0619) does use the digital
control.  The X3 sold by Harbor Freight and also Grizzley (G0463)  use a
speed potentiometer.  My first attempt will be to use the VFD outputs of
the Gecko G540 which provides an opto isolated pwm to analog reference.
In its case it is limited to 12 volts so my first job is to determine
the safest place to measure the voltage across the pot and then measure
it.  I was a radar technician in the mid 60's and then went back to get
my BSE.  So I am very leery of floating references.  As you say these
voltages may be anywhere from 7 to 15 volts.  I can probably use the
G540 pins as long as they are between 5 to 12 volts.  I will post my
findings.  Physical inspection of the control boards in the two machines
reveals different animals in types and quantity of components.
Hopefully I will not have to reverse engineer them to get them to work.

Hubert