There are two potential issues with CF cards in IDE adapters. Some
adapters don't implement UDMA correctly which can cause problems. With
windows you get intermittent read and write errors. With Linux the
kernel usually crashes when it tries to mount the drive. Also some cards
report themselves as removable storage. Windows won't install on a
removable drive. You can however get around this by installing on a hard
drive then making an image of the hard drive and copying it on to the CF
card. You then need to use a boot manager such as Grub or the one that
comes with xfdisk.

Les