It's not APIC, but LAPIC (Local APIC) that's the troublesome thingie.
There are some (older?) BIOS'es that apparently don't enable it by default,
so the user has to enable lapic at boot time (kernel param).

There have been quite a few messages how to fix this.
But here it goes again:

in /etc/default/grub, change

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash lapic"

and then run update-grub and reboot

This only works if your system _does_ have an LAPIC.
If you get the error message:
[ 0.080250] Local APIC not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.
then you are out of luck, and you need a non-SMP RTAI install (hardy 8.04
for example).

Regards,
Alex