Greetings all;

First, I guess we start a round of wishing everybody a merry Christmas.

Second, the diffs in user number basing between normal systems with the
first user at 500, and *buntu system with a first user at 1000 is killing
me since all the system utils that one would use for copying a file use the
user number & not the user name, so despite the fact that I am gene on both
systems, I can't access genes stuff on the shop machine.

This forces the cli use of sftp or scp to do the copy, and the syntax
always takes me 10 minutes to figure out, and it still fails!  Then on
checking my email I note a message from fail2ban that the shop box was
being denied after 6 tries. WTH?

Digging into /etc/fail2ban, I find the default setup is for a local address
of 168.192.0.*, and of course that isn't where my local network lives, plus
I noted the dns ignore was also set for 0.1, which may explain my laggy dns
performances here.  So I fixed all that for the local networks address, and
now both sftp and scp work flawlessly and instantly after the PW is
entered.

Now I think I need to add another link on my web page, but for the time
being, those now missing from the wiki files to carve encoder disks can be
had from the link in my sig in the "Genes-os9-stf" link as "spindle-
encoder.ngc" for the original file I got from the wiki about 2 years ago,
and as "genes-encoder.ngc" for the shrunken version I currently have
installed on my 7x12 lathe.

If someone with commit privs to the wiki would put them back in the wiki,
someone else may find them useful in that they would not have to re-invent
that particular wheel again.

Thanks & Cheers, Gene
A girl's best friend is her mutter.
                -- Dorothy Parker