On 12/24/2011 9:04 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> On Saturday, December 24, 2011 09:00:31 AM Mark Wendt (Contractor) did
> opine:
>

>> On 12/23/2011 2:47 PM, gene heskett wrote:
>>
>>> I sounded like a good idea, but:
>>> [gene@coyote ~]$ ssh shop
>>> gene@shop's password:
>>> Linux shop 2.6.32-122-rtai #rtai SMP Tue Jul 27 12:44:07 CDT 2010 i686
>>> GNU/Linux
>>> Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
>>>
>>> Welcome to Ubuntu!
>>>
>>>    * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/
>>>
>>> 11 packages can be updated.
>>> 6 updates are security updates.
>>>
>>> Last login: Thu Dec 22 09:38:52 2011 from coyote.coyote.den
>>> gene@shop:~$ sudo useradd -u 500 gene
>>> [sudo] password for gene:
>>> useradd: user 'gene' already exists
>>>
>>> So there isn't an obvious way to make the user numbers match between
>>> the *buntu's and the rest of the world.
>>>
>>> The last time I tried that, I wound up re-installing to fix it.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Gene
>>>
>> Gene,
>>
>> What about good old vi, or gedit on the /etc/passwd and /etc/group
>> files, changing the uid and gid to what ever you need, then doing a
>> chown -R gene:gene on /home/gene
>>
>> No need to reinstall.  Just a little careful editing is all you need.
>>
>> Mark
>>
> I did something like that, including the chown -R back on 8.04 and had to
> reinstall.  Among other things, sudo quit working so I couldn't fix the
> rest of the perms problems that created.
>
> Cheers, Gene

Something else must have happened when you did that, such as a typo in
either the group or passwd file.  I've done that thousands of times on
Unix/Linux machines, and as long as you keep the passwd and group files
error free, it shouldn't cause a problem.  Sounds like the GID instead
of the "gene" was used to add your working "group" to the sudo "wheel"
group or whatever was used.

Another good reason to have the root account accessible.  One of the
first things I do on any Unix/Linux machine that chooses to try to keep
me out of the root account is gain access to said root account.  "sudo
passwd root" takes care of that for me.  Having to re-install a complete
OS is just nuts when something like that happens.

Mark