I have downloaded and burnt the Live CD 10.04.

It has worked on one desktop I tried but not on another or my laptop.

I only have the laptop with me at the moment so I would like to install Ubuntu
and EMC to find out more in conjunction with reading all the EMC manuals I have
printed out.

The laptop is a Panansonic Toughbook CF29,Windows XP,Pentium 4,756Mb ram.

>From the users emails over the last few days I tried the ctrl/alt/f1and have
>experimented with the f6 boot options.

The laptop appears to boot to a certain point and then the screen goes blank
and then 'hangs' with the power off button being the only option.

If I delete splash-- and replace it with vga=771 then the display remains on
and the laptop 'hangs' on pulseaudio configured for per-user sessions line.

I have tried some of the other f6 suggestions but not all as yet (I will wear
the power button out soon).

I don't know if I can add the options  sequentially to the boot line or only
use one at a time.

Does anybody have any suggestions rather than me working through all the f6
options without really knowing which maybe causing the boot problem ?

Tim