This is old hat for many here, but in case it might be handy for the
less familiar with Linux -- my Internet provider charges by the
megabyte, but reduces the cost by 60% after 23:00. I'm usually not awake
at that time, so I looked into automating my updates and downloading
large files at 01:00.

I found this:

To download the current EMC2 this should work:
"at -f get_emc2.wget 1 am tomorrow"

The file, get_emc2.wget, might look like this:
"
wget http://linuxcnc.org/lucid/ubuntu-10.04-linuxcnc1-i386.iso
"

I haven't tried the emc2 download yet, but I have used the same process
with other large files.

cron should work for regularly scheduled tasks, such as the update and
upgrade in the link above. Of course, the PC needs to be on to do the
download, but I have a low power file server that's on all the time,
which is handy for a central location of NC files and such. I am
curious... what do others here use on file servers, FTP, Samba, NFS,
other?
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html