I will add my voice at least so Michael knows he is not the only one
who feels this way.

First:
Jeff thank you for answering. And I'm glad to see you back in a
more active role. I hope what ever kept you away has worked out
well.

> Michael,
>
> I would like to address your concerns over the quality of the rebranding
> changes and the degree of consideration that they were given before they
> were made.  I can speak only for myself here, and I have my "linuxcnc
> developer" hat on as I write this..
>
> I don't have any trouble admitting that some of the changes I've pushed
> to v2.5_branch since the announcement may have been hasty and may
> require fine-tuning, if not outright reversion.  Personally, I felt like
> a huge burden had been lifted from me by the announcement; now I could
> finally *do something* about this problem that has been hanging over our
> project for months.

You may have missed Michaels major point - communication.
Why was this problem hanging over our project for months without anyone
other then board directors knowing _anything_ about it. In fact from what
was written, it was almost a year ago the board first heard of it.

> On the other hand, I still think the approach of starting by renaming
> stuff and then fixing what broke was the right one.  If I had waited to
> push the changes until they were perfect, collaborating with my fellow
> developers would have been more difficult.

Obviously in hindsight as you said a branch would have been better.
But how about a rough idea what will change and what it will change to
_before_ we start?
There is still talk on names for TKemc yet it has been changed once already.
I would have done some rebranding work on PNCconf but I have no idea
what will and what will not change.
A small discussion over irc and maillist would be helpful IMHO.

This communication problem is not new.
The docs got all messed up - we asked for the board to help with a direction
no official answer came AFAIK.

I've (and others) have asked for a rough timeline of feature freeze and release.
None officially came.
I have read a couple times in IRC of dates one was in July the other Feb.
Yet we haven't actually been told officially its feature freeze time. One has
to read-
between-the-lines to know. Yet between July and now many new things
have been added.
Never mind the fact that Feb release was talked of then a couple days later
we are rebranding everything!

In fact I gave up trying to get confirmed dates and develop PNCconf by my
personal prediction of release. I'm ok with this as even if I get caught with
my pants down with a big bug it doesnn't stop linuxcnc from working, it
just annoys new users.

Now I'm not trying to beat you personally up with this. In the past in fact
you were excellent for setting timelines and dates - this is a board problem.

So I ask what is the boards purpose?
Is to develop guideline and official communication not part of it?
Is there another reason that we are not aware of that this is not happening?
Is there a reason the board feels we don't need to know what we have asked for?
Is there anything as developers we can do to help?

I would hate to see linuxcnc splintered through frustration.
Thank you.
Chris M