On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 01:53:51PM -0700, s...@highlab.com wrote:

> I have a list of things *I* want to do to the linuxcnc project, but
> I'd never dream of telling anyone to work on them.  It's not my place
> to tell folks what to do.

Although I am not a contributor to LinuxCNC I have contributed to other
open source projects.  There are typically two tiers of involvement:
A "core team" (by whatever name) has commit privileges and is responsible
for deciding what patches are accepted.  A larger team of interested users
and developers contributes patches and ideas.

When you're in that second group contributing patches it can be very
frustrating to try to understand what the "core team" wants.  For example,
maybe I think that jogging while a job is paused is important so I make
it possible and submit a patch.  If the core team doesn't want that feature
in the software then it will go nowhere.  If it's a complex patch and no
one on the core team is personally interested in taking responsibility
for it then it will go nowhere.

Making a roadmap and documenting the patch process will give potential
contributors confidence to step up and start work.  It's not telling people
what to do, it's telling them what will be accepted into the product.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<b...@ben.com>