2012/1/30 Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com>:

> I am suggesting this test because  if there is a noise problem, different
> encoders may not help.

Of course, I totally agree, but I just did not see a reason for noise by now.

> A possible noise source is the PWM signals. This can
> couple into the encoder if the motor frame ground is not returned to system
> ground

Motor GND comes from transformator + rectifier bridge, so it is
isolated from encoder power supply.
Motor GND is connected to motor frame, so basically - to machine frame.
I have not yet connected machine frame to earth ground, but I am
planning on doing so for safety purposes.
So it means that in that case mains supply and motor supply will not
be isolated any more.

Does Your suggestion imply doing this kind of connection or should I
connect motor GND and encoder GND?

Viesturs