I have also been mulling over the ft232h.  I asked ftdi, but never received
a reply, about the latency.  I assume it is at least 125 usec, but that
depends how that everything is managed.  If the usb host stack could be
hacked to give extra care to a specific device, it seems it could work,
although not sure if it really is worth it.