On Wednesday, February 08, 2012 07:28:46 AM andy pugh did opine:

> On 8 February 2012 07:01, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > The lathe I can get all metal gears for, but the mill I would love to
> > belt drive somehow,
>
> I put metal replacement gears in my mini-mill, and converted to
> oil-bath lubrication rather than "handful of grease". I recommend a
> belt conversion, the metal gears are far too noisy for comfort.

:-) I've heard that lament before.  And the plastic is noisy enough it gets
tiresome.  I guess that is why I'd consider a belt drive, some sort of a
thing that would need the motor remounted on a slotted carrier so as to be
able to use a Gilmer style belt.  With the right, probably all home-made
pulleys, there could be room for 3 speed steps with a 10mm belt like I used
in the Z axis on that rebuild.  That would take a lot of math I don't have
a clue about how to do in order to fit the teeth precisely to the diameter
of each step, all diddled so the motor comes back to the same rest position
for each speed.  I'd like to have a top speed of 900 or so in 1st gear,
2700 at the same motor revs in 2nd gear, and maybe 6 or 7 grand in top
gear, but I have not measured the available room around the spindle to see
if the min/max would allow that wide a range. AIR, and its been quite a
while since I last looked at it, it has an idler gearset that is part of
the existing gear shift.

ATM though, I'm just thinking out loud, and it they fail outright in the
next months while I working on the lathe, I'll just do the Q&D and replace
whats there with OEM stuff that Chris can put on my front deck in 5 or 6
days.  Other than too slow at top speed, its worked well for several years.

Cheers, Gene
"How should I know if it works?  That's what beta testers are for.  I only
coded it."
(Attributed to Linus Torvalds, somewhere in a posting)