On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 10:34 +0000, andy pugh wrote:
> On 25 February 2012 07:16, Kirk Wallace <kwall...@wallacecompany.com> wrote:
>
> > Or, use a thin sheet metal disk with photoresist and etch the slots?
>
> Marker pen and CNC works…
> http://youtu.be/c1zCG-uPaoM

I'm looking for a very much higher resolution. I'm playing with making a
75mm diameter encoder disk with a 1.5" ID hub to mount directly to my
axis ball screws. I was looking at the US Digital 2" encoder disk, but I
can't get it to fit and I haven't found any 3" disks available in the
same price range. The USD disk has a line width, if my math is correct,
of .0025" or .064mm. For the same CPR, a 3" or 75mm disk would be .004"
or .1mm . If I can match one of the USD's resolutions I can use one of
their sensors, saving me from having to make a sensor mask.

Lars' Lito idea is intriguing, but for the cost, it sounds like Peter's
laser plotting of PCB film would be more convenient. It also sounds like
what USD uses for their disks.

Thanks for the help.
--
Kirk Wallace