Watching a g76 move that crashed (because the touch off ate my lunch), I
noticed that when it crashed into the work, made a big gouge & then blew a
spindle fuse, that the whole machine stopped, as it obviously should from
the lack of encoder out pulses.

That leads me to the thought that I could do this with any operation other
than by hand pushing keys, if I could use the output of timeout to exert an
estop to everything, and potentially do it fast enough to save the
controller fuse.

However, that would have to be scaled to the spindle speed such that
regardless of the chosen Svalue, it could track it, and do the estop any
time the spindle once at speed, dropped say 20% as the lockup is occurring.

This assumes that the timeout could be scaled dynamically without resetting
it.

Or is this something that the 'near' module could handle even better?

Again given that it would have to be disabled during the startup spinup and
stabilization time, about 2 secs for this machine.

Also, where can I find the code for the python version of a touchoff button
that I assume makes a button for each configured axis?

Thoughts/Comments?

Thanks.

PS:  I forgot to send this as I got up to go do some more 'tuning' today
after finding some timing info for the M542 drivers, then slowed the max
speeds down to where everything seemed to run nice and smooth.  Then I
added the POSITION_FILE = position.txt option.  But now anytime I try to do
an X touch off, it goes away, absolutely silently.

So, how many F's do I put after the 7 in the debug = statement to make it
noisy enough it might be traceable? IIRC, I put a 7FFFFFFF in there 2 weeks
or so ago and it seemed to have zero effect on the mills machine.  Is there
some other magic potion I need?

Thanks everybody.

Cheers, Gene
Isn't it nice that people who prefer Los Angeles to San Francisco live
there?
                -- Herb Caen