Dave,

How about this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

You should be able to use the Linuxcnc LiveCD as the ISO image.

Failing that, install generic Ubuntu 10.04 to the USB, use it to install,
then run the Linuxcnc install script as described here under "If you prefer
to start with the distributed Ubuntu CD":
http://linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/download/21?task=view

HTH,
Eric

Google is sometimes not my friend. Grump for an older guy. ;-)

The idea is to install a linux from a live cd to at usb so I can get it on a
D510MO. Since this board has no ide the route I think makes sense
is:
Download live iso from .ro site (done)
Transfer iso to bootable usb.
Boot from usb and install on a SATA drive.

The usb is a 4G Lexar. Fdisk doesn't like it. I have managed to drag and
drop at least most of the CD to the usb but that certainly doesn't make it
bootable.

There must be a reasonable way to do this from the command line.

Here is the first stumbling block.

dave@dsk:~$ cd /media
dave@dsk:/media$ chmod 0777 -v -R -f Lexar mode of `Lexar' changed to 0777
(rwxrwxrwx) dave@dsk:/media$ fdisk /media/Lexar
last_lba(): I don't know how to handle files with mode 40700 You will not be
able to write the partition table.

cfdisk simply reports "no write perms".