It can be (and has been) done.  You probably will need to keep the
encoders on the motors, unless your ballscrews and the rest of the
drivetrain is very tight and backlash free.  The trick is to use the
motor encoders for the P and D parts of the PID loop, for stability,
and use the linear scales for the I part, to correct the small
and fairly slow-changing error between the screw and the scale.

Follow the link below for a blog posting about how we did exactly
that on a large boring mill:
http://jmkasunich.com/cgi-bin/blosxom/shoptask/wichita-trip-02-20-08.html

On Tue, May 22, 2012, at 01:43 PM, erik.555.gr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Are there any major dis-advantages to using glass scales as position
> feedback for a servo system versus using encoders directly attached to
> the
> motors. I could see where backlash might be an issue but if using
> precision
> ground ballscrews........
  John Kasunich
  jmkasun...@fastmail.fm