On Tue, 22 May 2012 21:44:23 -0500
Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

> Matt Shaver wrote:
> >
> > I would also be interested in hearing from any people with
> > experience in Fortran who would be interested in helping port this
> > code to the Linux platform. If you could indicate your level of
> > Fortran experience and any reasons for your interest in this code,
> > that would be very helpful.
> >
> Aughhhh!  I used to write a LOT of code in FORTRAN, and I know "where
> the bodies are
> buried".  Ie. the kinds of things in FORTRAN that cause endless
> trouble.  The worst
> is having unmatching common blocks in different parts of the code.  A
> compiler that
> permits something like the C include statement goes a long way toward
> preventing
> those.  There are a few more things that either don't translate well
> or lead to other
> difficulties.  There is an f2c converter program that might be useful.
>
> Jon

I'm hoping we can keep the entire thing in FORTRAN just because it is
supposed to work there. I did my first FORTRAN compile in FORTAN II on
a PDP-8 with paper tape and a KSR-33 but doesn't mean I remember much.
Did a lot of FORTRAN  on 360-67/HASP and Amdahl 390 but the former
proviso still exists. Most were medium sized programs that relied on
the Scientific Subroutine Package for their real functionality and that
was >= 30 years ago. Let's hope there are people out there that
remember FORTRAN 77  and before. The real problem is not the code but
people expert enough in APT to verify that things really work. It is
easy to blame thing on the code that are simply not understanding how
APT thinks.

It is a major task to understand the underlying algorithms necessary
to recode APT using the gsl libs.

Dave