On Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:40:50 PM andy pugh did opine:

> On 23 May 2012 16:52, Eric H. Johnson <ejohn...@camalytics.com> wrote:
> > Andy,
>
> I am not sure I am the one to best answer this.
>
> > My question is, do named external subroutine files need to end with
> > '%'. If I include a '%' at the end of the file, on rerunning I get an
> > error: "Bad character '%' used."
>
> I have a feeling that I have heard that there are quirks with
> subroutines, but I am not sure what they are. I think Michael Haberler
> probably has the best handle on this, but I am not sure he is around
> at the moment.

I found that if you took the instructions for named subroutine file
literally, I had no problems of that sort when machine etching my encoder
boards.

The only problem that bothered me was that the subroutine files did not
echo into the code flow being displayed in the lower code window of axis,
so the machine was effectively flying blind while the subroutine was
executing.

These 'canned' subroutines were called and ran as many as 7 times while the
main code to do one side of the board was executing.  Named for the
subroutine call with an appended .ngc, they started with:
cat bedautoz.ngc
o<bedautoz> sub
[...gcode to establish this tools auto z reference and apply it, and ended]
o<bedautoz> endsub

No M2, or % sign was ever asked for or given.  They Just Worked(TM) :)

Cheers, Gene
Duct tape is like the force.  It has a light side, and a dark side, and
it holds the universe together ...
                -- Carl Zwanzig