On 30 April 2013 21:50, Kent A. Reed <kentallanr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Every few years one research group or another issues a breathless
> press release about its laboratory "breakthrough" which will
> revolutionize battery technology (searching the Internet on "electric
> battery breakthrough" is instructive). There have been advances
> certainly but they've been more evolutionary than revolutionary

I consider the performance of the LiIon batteries in my power tools
pretty revolutionary. I cut the plug off my main-powered drill and
used it for something else.
Compared to the first generation NiCad drills etc there is no comparision.

Another area to look at is the LiPo cells in toy helicopters. I looked
at an electric flying machine about 20 years ago as an academic
research project,  and it was basically impossible.
Now they are childrens' toys.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.