There are blueprints for a vast amount of electric cars in the drawers
of all major car producers. As Gene H. would put it: "Been there, driven
it!" About 20 years ago I had the privilege to drive a small car from a
GM daughter brand (Opel Corsa), driven by four 30 kW flat-built
synchronous motors, one mounted fix at each wheel, each powered by an
microprocessor controlled IGBT frequency converter from a 400 Volt
S.A.F.T.  NiCd battery pack. Can you imagine what happens when you apply
full power to 120 HP electric motors to a small car? It was a nonpareill
pleasure to drive.

The three phase converters had the size of a pineapple can and were
filled with pressurized freon which was cooled outside. A friend of mine
has developed these converters and equipped such cars for at least three
large firms I know of, GM, Volkswagen and Renault. They were fully
usable in commuter and other short distance traffic. The VW Caddy was
meant for craftsman shops, a little pickup which even had a 220 V AC
outlet on the side wall for power drills and grinders.

All these cars were presented at the world's largest car fair at
Frankfurt (IAA), but nobody seemed to have interest for them. So, the
companies have the knowledge, but I guess as long as there is a drop of
oil in the world there will be no large amount of those cars produced.

Peter