Hello Jon and thanks for the quick answer.

I was affraid that it would be on the limit. I guess I'm going to use a
5i20 to read it. I have one machine using it so I can test it with the TTL
encoder and see how it works.

Do you know if the 6i25 is already supported by LinuxCNC? I know that
hostmot 2 works with it, but I don't know if there is support for that
particular card on LinuxCNC.

Leonardo.

2013/9/30 Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com>

> On 09/30/2013 12:05 PM, Leonardo Marsaglia wrote:
> > Hello to all.
> >
> > I need to control a screw with an encoder mounted on it. Calculating the
> > max rpm and the resolution I want I need a 25 khz read response for the
> > encoder.
> >
> > I remember reading somewhere the maximum expected frequency of the
> parport
> > software driver to read an input but I don't remember where.
> >
> > I would like to know please if any of you have an approximation of the
> > frequency, because If this works I can save some money. If not, I would
> > have to buy dedicated hardware.
> >

> The port, itself, has no frequency limit.  It takes about 1 us to read
> the legacy ports, and
> the motherboard puts the CPU in a wait state while it is doing it. But,
> reading a
> single register of the parport hardware will just take about 1 us, at
> the lowest
> level.  The hal_parport driver is fairly efficient, and you only need
> one instance of
> the software encoder component should also be fairly efficient.  If you
> need to detect
> position every 25 us, this could be a problem.  If you just want to be
> sure that encoder
> counts are not lost, then this should work fine.
>
> Later motherboards with PCI-connected parports are a bit faster. You
> should be
> able to run a 25 us (25000 ns) base thread on a good CPU.
>
> Jon

*Leonardo Marsaglia*.