On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 15:43:17 -0500, you wrote:

>A lot of that depends on your belt arrangement.   They make linear
>motion belting with a unique tooth profile.   They use steel cords in
>polyurethane belts to minimize stretch and they can obtain zero backlash
>with that setup.  To get more rigidity you can go with a wider belt but
>then the price of the sprockets goes though the roof.     When you get
>that big, ball screw whipping becomes an issue if you want to use it for
>plasma and need to move fast on thin sheetmetal.    Plus they get very
>expensive as you know..

Ballscrew whip isn't a problem if you use large diameter and pitch
screws. I have a 2.5m one here off a laser cutter - 32mm diameter 10mm
pitch. It's preloaded at both ends and has double anti backlash nuts.

Never got round to building anything to fit it on and I certainly
wouldn't like to buy one - I got it for nothing out of the scrap bin :)
There's nothing wrong with it, the company change them every year
whether they need it or not !! Unfortunately never been back when they
just changed one again.

Steve Blackmore