On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 05:26:55 -0500, you wrote:

>Tektronix had a rather nifty wash booth they used to clean up cruddy old
>scopes and other test equipment brought in for repair and/or cal.

I did some work years ago for a company that refurbished PC's and
peripherals for export to Russia an Africa. They also cleaned keyboards
as a commercial service.

The keyboards simply went into large industrial dishwashers, followed by
large warm air dryers. They were left to stand on racks keys down for a
week then tested. Well over 90% survived and looked brand new.

Pretty much everything else went into the washers too! PC's had the
drives removed and went in also. That which survived went for export,
fails went to landfill.

Steve Blackmore