Peter's solution will work.  I was going to add a dead-band to the PID
control internal to the HAL component that talks to the PRU, but Peter's
suggestion of pushing the PID outside the PRU driver and into HAL makes
a lot more sense.  The existing HAL PID component is vastly more
sophisticated than the PID inside the PRU driver, and pushing it out
into HAL not only makes the configuration more "unix and LinuxCNC like",
but doesn't require any new code to implement.

I just don't have time to play with HAL right now (I'm getting ready for
a 100K run this weekend), and my test machine is currently in various
pieces so I couldn't check things out even if I had time to make the
change.  I can probably get to it next week sometime, but I'm hoping
someone will beat me to it.

Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net