On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 11:21:49 -0500, you wrote:

>IMO machine generated code CAN be useful, if you have memory resources
>enough to handle it.  But I often carve my own code, making liberal use of
>subroutines.  I've got one short proggy, maybe 90 LOC, that takes 2 days to
>run.
>
>I have yet to actually see machine generated code that contained a single
>subroutine.  So tell me again who is still living in the 80's?

There's several good reasons for it. Stopping or restarting from inside
subroutines and canned cycles is fraught with all sorts of problems.

Pausing then jogging to clear swarf or replace a tool bit and then
restarting is pretty common in commercial shops, particularly when one
poor guy is looking after several machines. If you making hundreds of
small parts a day, it doesn't matter much if you trash one. The more
expensive the part, the less likely you are to trash one and may want
change tools or tips part way through. Easy and reliable without subs.

One job I did springs to mind, mid way through cutting a left hand
thread on the end of an expensive EN24T ground turbine shaft between
centres and the insert chipped. I was running single line threading and
simply paused on the rewind, stopped the spindle, jogged away replaced
the insert, retouched off the tool to zero it in X, restarted the
spindle and pressed run, it picked up the thread and finished it
perfectly.

You may understand your subroutine, but would a poorly paid operator?
They can mostly understand simple code ;)

There is virtually no limits to program lengths since tape died so
writing subs isn't necessary to save space and serves no other purpose
other than living in the 80's (or earlier :)

Steve Blackmore