On 3/6/2015 1:43 PM, Todd Zuercher wrote:
> What sort of screen? and where is it in relation to the VFD?  We have
> a router with 2 VFDs mounted on the outside of a wooden cabinet, and
> they wreak havoc on the CRT display inside the cabinet when they
> accelerate/decelerate (about 6 inches away).  It is fine while its
> running, just when stopping and starting.  I was thinking I should
> make some sort of metal shield to mount between them, but its been
> that way for more than 15 years without any thing more than this
> aesthetic problem so it hasn't been real high on my to do list.

I know this one:

You need a Mu-Metal shield.  The VFD is throwing enough current around a
big enough loop it's generating magnetic fields (*NOT* EMI!) and
distorting the video display.  It happens on speed changes because
you're drawing lots of current.  It should also happen if you load the
motor with a deep cut and push it close to it's rated power level.

Really nice broadcast studio monitors are magnetically shielded to avoid
this, but just about any other CRT monitor won't be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu-metal

And yes, a magnetic field _is_ a form of EMI (Electro Magnetic
Interference), but it's at a _really_ low frequency and thus is
generally not affected by the typical EMI shielding practices that are
mostly concerned with very high frequency effects.  You might have good
luck simply turning the VFD to a different orientation (try rotating it
on it's side or back and see if the problem gets any better or worse).

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net