On 8/25/2016 11:38 AM, dan...@austin.rr.com wrote:

> So I guess it does do that.  Now if one home was physically
> installed where it trips 0.53" before physical end-of-travel, if
> this were NOT the gantry axis I'd just give its final machine coord
> as 0.53" and its machine coord is correct (0=end-of-travel).  But
> in this one, say one gantry switch is mounted to trip at 0.5" but
> the other trips at 0.65".  If homing acts like non-gantry joints,
> it would physically leave it at 0.5" and 0.65" and leave joint mode
> with it physically out of sync like that.  Which would mean the
> joints are racked by 0.15" and will forever be locked like that
> because future moves are in axis mode, not joint mode.
>
> Does it have the ability to physically move the joints into
> alignment based on .ini parameters saying one switch is 0.15" off,
> or do I just need to keep physically remounting one switch until
> its trip point is "close enough" to the other?

No.  On the machines I wrote the gantry component for, typically there
is a small screw used to adjust the tripping point for each homing switch.

As Andy mentioned, you may want to just use a version of LinuxCNC that
supports JA.  When I wrote the gantry component that wasn't an option,
and the behavior of LinuxCNC with any non-trivial kinematics (even
something as simple as a gantry) was very painful from a user
perspective (or at least from *THIS* user's perspective).  I haven't
messed with JA, but it's supposedly *MUCH* better at handling these
sorts of machines.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net