On 5/5/2017 4:43 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 05 May 2017 09:25:01 Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
>>
>> I've ordered one of these x86 SBCs to play with and see if I can get
>> it talking to Mesa hardware via SPI:
>>
>> http://up-shop.org/up-boards/2-up-board-2gb-16-gb-emmc-memory.html
>
> That looks like a raspi killer, but whats an eMMC memory, because I sure
> don't see a socket for a micro-sd card.

eMMC is the flash memory used in just about anything that has a decent
amount of in-device storage but doesn't use a SATA style HDD (think
cell-phones, iPads, tablets, etc).

...probably not a raspi killer at ~ $100, but given the state of the
GPU on the Pi (and most other ARM SBCs) it may make a good platform
for anything that needs a GPU with decent support for anything other
than Android.

>> ...if it works out, it may be a good midway point between the ARM
>> based SBCs and a full x86 machine.
>
> I agree, except for the system memory.
>
> Soldered to the board flash memory bothers me, a lot.  If it didn't, I
> would have used my card to put some postage on its even better equipt
> 4Gb dram and 32Gb of e-MMC. I have 2 of the original D525MW boards, one
> of them is still software stepping a 4 axis micro-mill. Not fast, but
> fast enough to get the job done.

They have versions with more memory (both DRAM and flash), and the "UP
Squared" has a SATA port and mPCI-e if you want to hook up "real" storage.

I got the next-to-cheapest version (2G instead of 1G DRAM) just to
play around with.  If it turns out to be viable but needs a bit more
"oompf", there are options available.

Interestingly, they show the "Squared" shipping in July, and the "UP"
shipping in 7 days, but I got emails (from both UP and FedEx) saying
my UP board shipped less than a day after placing the order.  And the
Mesa 7i90 arrived today, so I've got lots of new toys to play with!  :)

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net