Ok, friends. This is getting interesting (AKA I'm sort of lost).

Once upon a time there was a beautiful tutorial about choosing the right
setup with Mesa boards involved, but Internet is a living thing and that
page is gone. My entire Mesa knowledge was based on that page...

So, my retrofit is not progressing because I'm lost in the
what-to-choose-problem.

The machine has DC servos with optical disc encoders, I have no data on the
motors nor the encoders but the controller has a sign saying 5A fuse +/- 60
V. I hate when the encoders are crimped to the motor shaft and even though
they are sweet I am more than willing to rip them off and replace them with
capacitive encoders tomorrow.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/svenneduva/albums/72157698570971564

I need a few pins extra. The spindle is a HF air bearing (50 k RPM) with a
pneumatic tool changing mechanism. There goes a few extra pins. The tool
changer itself is fixed but has a motor driven cover with limit switches.
So two limit inputs, motor +/- direction and then signals for releasing the
tool.
The machine itself only has homing switches so three extra inputs, or one
if serial wired. I would like to add end switches though.

The easy way out would getting a Mesa 7i92 + 7i76 combo (no LPT) and some
step/dir servo drives. But I thought the nice thing with for example a 7i77
board is that it handles all the loop back and I only need some simple
amplifier drivers to run the servos and then feed the encoder signals to
the 7i77. But, all the drivers I find they want the encoder input? And I
though they were supposed to go to the 7i77? Even worse, I bought a 7i77
card to host a set of super fancy Omron drivers once upon a time and know I
don't even understand how I was thinking when I bought them. Correct, they
were never installed and are still collecting dust.

So, IF I am going with the Mesa boards, what on Earth is the driver I
should use, and what boards? Simply, I am lost on this one... I don't know
if I'm getting old and lack the googling skills, I can't find a decent
combo anymore. Step/dir is a breeze to setup compared to this jungle. I do
understand Mesa is supporting us and everything, I just don't understand
how little documentation there is to find _how_ to choose boards and to set
them up.

An alternative is Rene's STMBL driver which looks very nice but need
another breakout board as far as I understand. If I make it to the
Stuttgart meeting next weekend we might have a German solution to my
problem. Who knows...