Dear LinuxCNC users

I started a project about 6 years ago that was delayed because of several
personal issues. I am now ready to begin putting together a computer that I
want to use to control a lathe. I want to install Debian 10 (buster) on my
PC.

I have 2 identical older MBs Asus M5A 78L-M LX. Each has an AMC Sempron 145
processor. I have been running one of these for the last 5 years with
Debian 8 and it seems to work fine. I selected these MBs because they
seemed to have reasonable performance with latency test. I recently
assembled the second MB and decided to install Debian 10 using a USB drive.
The installation completes, installs GRUB and then prompts to reboot.

The GRUB graphical menu screen looks fine.

When the new system boots the last message on the screen is:
[ OK ] Started GNOME Display Manager.
Nothing further happens on the screen.

If i boot with Linux 4.19.0-12 amd64 (recovery mode) then I am able to boot
successfully
At the prompt I can enter the command # journalctl -xb
Looking at the output there is one error displayed:

drm: radeon_pci_probe ERROR radeon kernel modesetting for R600 or later
requires firmware installed.

1) Is this error significant?
2) Do I really need this firmware? I am not using any graphics card -just
the built in graphics.  Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780 I really don't want to
mess around with trying to flash new firmware on the MB. - but if that is
what it takes I might try to figure out how to do that.

If i swap hard drives with my working Debian 8 system then the new computer
boots normally to the debian 8 GNOME desktop.

If anyone can give me some hints or ideas to try I will appreciate your
help and kindness.

John Figie