On 02/10/2021 03:38 AM, andy pugh wrote:
On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 at 05:11, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com> wrote:

Should just the enables to the other servo drives be removed or should power be
cut to all drives.
I don't know what the industry standard is, but I can think of
arguments for leaving the drives enabled, but stopping the motion
controller.
So, non-faulted drives will stop, but hold position.

Well, the issue there is whether a faulty drive would actually stop when disabled. I can easily imagine some faults that could leave the drive in a servo runaway situation and ignore enable.

If there is a way to kill the motor power but leave the drive logic active, that would be best. If the drive does NOT process encoder signals, so the drive can be completely powered off without losing position alignment, then that would be fine (think traditional analog velocity servo amps).

You also want to be sure that E-stop applies a braking resistor to the motor in some manner.

Jon