On 03/12/2021 11:14 AM, Ralph Stirling wrote:
This would be an awesome setup for Linuxcnc.

https://www.datron.com/revolutionize-workpiece-setup/

I got a "USB microscope" and built it into a tool holder and hooked it up with camview to show in a window of LinuxCNC. It worked, but I really wasn't happy with the result. The camera did some kind of really horrible interpolation, so the expanded image was not very sharp. I couldn't tell which edge was the real edge of the material if it had been deburred.

See http://pico-systems.com/centcam.html for some pictures, etc.

So, I lucked into a deal on a Blum 3-axis touch probe. I had to build an IR interface to it. I wrote a bunch of programs to pick up corners of parts and set the coordinate system.
It works much better, but, yes, the probe tip is fragile.

Jon