Hi all,
Just as a matter of interest I thought I'd throw this out there.
A while ago I messed up one of my acu-rite glass scales ( boo-hoo!)
It goes off for repair and I mounted a Chinese glass scale as a temp replacement.
This is mounted on the X of my Cinci contoumaster. Year of manufacture 1963.
I did the same data collection on my acu-rite and it came up dead on for all values.
Both are 5 um scales.
The screw values were taken off the hand crank adjusted as close to zero as my eyes  can determine. I didn't bother to use a glass on the dial. Of course all values were approached from the low side. The ball
screw has about 0.004 backlash.
The 1 um scales are not much more than the 5 um scales which makes almost no real difference if you are
hand cranking but for servo use the extra counts may help tuning the servo.

screw  dro          dev
0        0             0
1        0.9986    0.0014
2        1.9992    0.0008