It is not unusual for shaft mounted encoders to have some strain relief rather than a hard connection. see link.
https://www.shopcross.com/zo-.25bore-200ppr?msclkid=0c56646795e81faf9ef104ab7e98b74f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)%20Shopping%20-%20No%20Numbers&utm_term=4586406598964502&utm_content=Everything%20Else
YMMV

Dave