"The solution is to either add more counts per revolution or use a ten timesmore complex control algorithm."

IIUC then the real problem here is statistical. That is the sample size is too
small to be significant. Maybe an over-simplification of the issue but:

I think there are a couple of ways to approach this. (1) time stamp the index pulse.              (2) use a high count encoder and scale as necessary. This is clearly limited by the response of the  optics      for the disc.  100 - 200 KHz for the inexpensive stuff. I don't think there is a one size fits all solution. In electronic terms lathe spindles are pretty slow and have a lot of angular momentum. Most lathe spindle
rpm range is not a lot over 5-6 binary bits.
I've actually considered putting a disc brake on the spindle. Not exactly joking.

Just late evening rattling the cage.

Dave

Could you solve the noise issue with a phase-locked loop?
Yes, this would be a far better solution. But I didn't want to
re-write the encoder counter from scratch.

Ideally you would use two PLLs, one for the pulses and one for the
index, to predict the pulse gap and extrapolate through it.

--
atp
lunatics."