Hi,
I ran across an article by one of the servo drive firms that said the using two sensors/axis improved motion. I think they used a resolver on the drive and an encoder on the ball screw. While this improves motion that assumes you have very good ball screws. I think that a better approach would be to use glass scales and  then another sensor on the ball screw or drive. Right now I have a mill with glass scales on X and Y with Z being considered. Planned is implementation of stepper-servos like Gene's setup. First iteration will be stepper-servos plus a DRO simply to tell me how bad things are. BTW -- on X using the hand wheel vis a vis an accu-rite 5 um glass scale was dead on moving X  in the positive direction  I won't admit how bad it is on reversal. ;-) Y is damaged but still pretty good going positive but really bad in Y neg. No scale on Z so no estimate but not perfect. The X  does have a 40 K count/inch in quadrature encoder on it. Note: Chinese glass scales are now mounted on X and Y since the Accu-rite scales do not play well with the Chinese DRO.

Cheers,
Dave