On Wednesday, 30 March 2022 10:04:54 EDT andy pugh wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 at 07:36, gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > So, is there an mcode or similar that I could put in my program to
> > save the current position it has attained
>
> The G-code could log the current iteration number.
>
> (LOGOPEN, ...)
> (LOG, #1)
>
> http://linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/gcode/overview.html#_logging

That could handle the writing of a progress file doing exactly what I
want. But that in turn would need to be able to read that file on a
restart. And be able to set zero defaults IF that file doesn't exist.

Can LinuxCNC do that ??

So could a memory variable that does not get cleared by a re-run.
Something that would be made known to LinuxCNC but is not zeroed or
preset by making it visible.

But, here is something else: If g52 or g92 and its ilk are not used in a
program, is it safe to use a couple of those #numerical locations for
storage?  It rather sounds like they are free for other uses, but if not
ever used, do they contain trash at powerup? In that event, one could
write a program to clear them that is run by actually running it, or
perhaps tying it to an mdi function. Or even by running g92.1 from the
mdi screen, which I assume clears that whole block of #locations. So the
only one that untouchable is #5210. I could then use 3 of the other
locations for exactly what I want, they are already known to LinuxcNC but
ignored if #5210 is cleared.

Right/wrong? Persistence, even over a non-powerdown reboot, is quite
important.

Thank you.
> --
> atp
> "A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is
> designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and
> lunatics."
> — George Fitch, Atlanta Constitution Newspaper, 1912

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis